Built by David S. Simpson in 1922 as a movie theater it began showing "talkies" in 1947. It served that purpose until 1972. In 1965 the Spanish front gave way to a mansard roof in trying to keep with the "New England" theme of downtown. Since then it has served many purposes including as a night club. In 1984 it was converted to the Princess Gallery, an indoor retail bazaar. Shop spaces were created on the main floor and a circular stairway led to additional shops on the mezzanine.